Woodland Park Zoo
Woodland Park Zoo

Woodland Park Zoo is a zoological garden in Seattle, Washington. Occupying the western half of Woodland Park, the zoo began as a small menagerie on the estate of Guy C. Phinney, a Canadian-born lumber mill owner and real estate developer. Opened in 1899, the 188-acre (76 ha) Woodland Park was sold to the city for $5,000 in cash and the assumption of a $95,000 mortgage on December 28, 1899, by Phinney's wife (Phinney had died six years earlier, in 1893). The sum was so large that the Seattle mayor (W. D. Wood) vetoed the acquisition, only to be overruled by the city council. In 1902, the Olmsted Brothers firm of Boston was hired to design the city's parks, including Woodland Park, and the next year the collection of the private Leschi Park menagerie was moved to Woodland Park.

As of the summer of 2010, the zoo includes 92 acres (37 ha) of exhibits and public spaces. It is open to the public daily,[3] and welcomed 1.05 million visitors in 2006. Its collection includes:

  • 1,090 animal specimens
  • 300 animal species
  • 35 endangered and 5 threatened animal species
  • 7,000 trees
  • 50,000+ shrubs and herbs
  • 1,000+ plant species

Staff

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License