Seward Park
Seward Park

In southeast Seattle, a small peninsula of land juts out into Lake Washington. This is Seward Park, and the surrounding neighborhood shares the same name.

The first settlers here in the 1850s were farmers, orchard tenders, and loggers. The nearby sawmill drew in many workers, and the population steadily increased. It wasn’t until a trolley line was built in 1891 that people could start developing the land in earnest. Where views of the lake were to be had, impressive homes were built, and more modest ones filled in the lots that were farther back from the water. When the neighborhood was annexed into Seattle in the early 1900s, the land on the peninsula was purchased by the city and turned into a park, which they named after William Seward. (You know—Seward’s Folly? Alaska? Ring a bell?) Anyway, eventually the whole neighborhood took on the name of the park.

Places

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License